Wednesday 12 October 2011

Sweet Treats

So yesterday the Filing Cabinet and I became re-acquainted - in a big way. My friend returned to work after a holiday to New Zealand and she brought with her so many goodies from the Southern Hemisphere that I couldn't resist. There were Tim Tams, Caramello Koalas, Pineapple lumps and Perkynanas. Now this may sound like gobblygook to most but they are all lovely chocolate based treats.

I was lucky enough to travel around New Zealand and the east coast of Australia for a couple of months way back in 2007 and all these treats (not to mention the photos) made me reminisce for the time I spent there. It was simply the best holiday I've ever had. I was 23, finished my degree and my Masters and without a 'proper' job. I went with my boyfriend and I think it is the closest I have ever felt to being truly carefree. The scenery was simply spectacular. Because we could only afford to be there for a couple of months we fit so much in a short space of time. Every day was something different from walks around mountains (certainly not up them) trying to swim with dolphins (they swam away when we jumped in the freezing sea) snorkelling at the barrier reef to a relaxing trip to the cinema.


As we had such a great time that sometimes I consider if it would be worth upping sticks and emigrating but it is such a difficult decision – and it's so far away, it’s not like moving to Spain! At the moment I actually have a job I kind of enjoy and although I don’t have any commitments like a mortgage or (god help me) children I also do not have any savings – which would definitely be required. And what if we went for a year, got bored, or couldn’t find jobs, or simply didn’t like it? It would mean having to come back to start all over again in London. New jobs, new house, new savings. I guess this is why the people that do emigrate are the brave ones – there is so much to risk, and no guarantee the grass is greener. So that is why I have decided to embrace and enjoy life more here rather than think what if…


There is so much in Europe alone I have yet to see, which is why I have booked a holiday to Iceland in November and am planning to go to Wales with Skinny Jeans in the Spring (to climb Mt Snowdon!!!) As well as that my days since I started this blog have overall been so much busier and fun. I’ve had friends up to visit with trips to the theatre, attended a couple of concerts, had some lovely meals out and gone dancing! As Christmas approaches I have my Iceland holiday, a trip home, gigs, friend’s birthdays and hopefully more to look forward to. And don’t worry I still have the Friday night drinks with work! And these are the reasons why I am not going to beat myself up for having more NZ treats yesterday then perhaps I should have done. It was a one off, and the Tim Tams that are left will not be touched by me, well at least until Friday.

So here is a picture of Hobbiton to brighten your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment