Wednesday 19 October 2011

Finding my Style - Part 2

Whilst I was studying at Uni, one of my friends - Arabella introduced me to the beauty of Dita von Teese. Before then I had never heard of Burlesque or even thought about the glamour of the 50’s style pin up. Now, however, I love the style, the confidence and the individuality of Burlesque (and we’re not talking about the Cher & Christina Aguilera film!)

I’ve never been to a Burlesque show but I like the idea of them. I’ve known people who have been part of a show, and they always tell me how much confidence it gives them, and how you don’t have to be skinny and blonde with big tits to get involved. Now don’t get me wrong, I have no intention of stripping off in a giant martini glass for you, but I would watch others do it! So that is one thing I want to add to my list of things to do – watch a burlesque show. I live in London so that shouldn’t be much of an issue, I just need to get my arse in gear to go!I

Now onto the reason we are all here, the style of the 50’s Pin up…

I don’t know if it is a style I could ever pull off, but what I love about it is the understated glamour; the pale complexions, the perfect (yet subtle) make up, with the hair staying exactly as it should. Also, in my mind anyway, a true burlesque/50’s pin up always looks immaculate. You would never see her sweaty, or out of breath, or flustered. And they always go out looking glamorous, no trackpants and old t-shirt for them, hell no. What has made me think about Burlesque and Dita recently is an event of my own I have happening late next summer, where I need to find something special to wear. I don’t wear dresses. As we’ve established in earlier blogs I like my jeans and t-shirts. However this is a style I want to try and embrace – eventually.

Whilst I get my body 'dress ready’ here of some of my favourite dresses around at the moment to help inspire me.


I love, love, love this dress. It is from Vivien of Holloway and is absolutely stunning. You can get different colours but red with polka dots is easily my favourite. http://www.vivienofholloway.com/

This one is a little smaller in the skirt size, but nicely understated, yet still glamorous. It is from Dig for Victory and you can have your own dress custom made. http://www.digforvictoryclothing.com/

Well I hope you like them, yes it's quite different from the surfer style but I'm sure we all have an inner glamour goddess trying to get out every now and then, and this is the perfect style for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment