Tuesday 20 September 2011

Working and downfalls

So, seeing as my intro post mentioned my work life, albeit briefly, I have decided today to address some of the issues I have with my job vs my new life style.

Firstly I work in sport, an Olympic sport at that. Ok I work in a office all day and don't get to travel across the world with the athletes to competition etc but as a full time employee I am a representative of the company and sport, and I am the exact opposite as the athletes that I occasionally have to work with. They are tall, completely buff, ripped and oh so confident. If they are not confident they certainly hide it well. I will never compare to these guys - they train two or three times a day 6 days a week but I feel I need to put across a better view of myself as a professional. I want to be able to wear my branded kit (when I have to, not for fun) and not have passers by think I am a sweaty wannabe fan! So there we go, one new aim and reason for me to get my arse in gear.

Now here is the big downfall. I sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day most weekdays, and unlike many sport NGO's we do not have a gym or sports equipment on site so any exercise I do has to be outside of work. Second big downfall, biscuits, sweets and cakes. In the office we have 'The Filing Cabinet'. And on top of this baby there is always a selection of biscuits and sweets. If anyone goes on holiday or to an event with the athletes they bring back sweets, it tradition and you can't question tradition. If any of the coaches visit the office they bring biscuits. Right now on The Filing Cabinet we have one big bag of jelly sweets (brought by me after my holiday) one pack of Maryland Cookies, one pack of Fox's biscuit creams, one pack of dark chocolate digestives and some sainsburys cookies all donated by kind coaches. Bearing in mind there is usually about 8 of us in the office that is a lot of biscuits. And oh they are tempting me every single day. The Filing Cabinet will always have treats on it, I cannot change that but I must learn to have self control and leave them. Just because they are there it doesn't mean I have to have them. So that is the first challenge this week, to not have anything from The Filing Cabinet. Now this isn't to say that my 'new lifestyle' will not let me have sweet stuff because that way lies the way of binging (for me at least) so this week I cannot have any and once I have started to get my head around this new attitude to food I will move on to moderation. Now to me moderation doesn't sound too exciting but it is something I need to do.

On the plus side yesterday I did some exercise - Yay! Now I was going to go for a jog but my ipod had no battery (a terrible excuse I hear you cry) and I cannot run without music pushing me along. It's a scientific fact music keeps you moving and your brain off the terrible pain your (my) lungs are in. But that's not to say I didn't do anything. I did half an hour of a Davina DVD. This may sound rubbish and lightweight compared to a good old fashioned jog but believe me my legs and arse are feeling it today! Food wise, so far so good too. I even made bruschetta last night to have for lunch today, which not only is healthy, but cheap, as I had lots of tomatoes that needed using up - Go Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment